Creativity As A Spiritual Response

spring book with feather sketch

Photo by Alena Koval on Pexels.com

June = Journals

We are nearing the end of June.  In this month, we have looked at the idea of journals as containers, journals that we keep in various forms, sometimes without calling them journals.

I hope this topic has been useful to you.

When I originally imagined the topic of journals, my desire was to encourage in myself,  and in others, a willingness to look upon their journal writing as and opportunity to make unique and wonderful statements.  Keeping a personal journal is a revealing of oneself at a given place and time, to oneself.  Yes, themes may seem to repeat themselves and yet like a spiral there is probably some movement if we look for it.

My desire has also been to dissuade the understanding of importance of the journal as a tidy account of one’s activities.  Our lives, at least my life, are rarely tidy.  It is in the messiness that I encounter on the page, that things come together and change happens, or seemingly doesn’t.  How about you?  My journals also reveal to me how comfortable I am at a given time with non-linear creative thought which circles and has surprising tangents and then circles again.  I find that paper can hold those tangents in ways that enable me to reflect on them – seeing a continuity I hadn’t previously appreciated, which enables choice making.

What I would like to encourage for you, and for me, is to understand that journals are important tools in one’s creative and spiritual toolbox.  They are not the only one, but as with all genuinely useful tools, when we need them, we need them.   Please keep space and time for your journals, know where they are, and use them.

We will be adding other tools as we go along.

Journal Prompt:  Draw, or write about your current creative and spiritual tool-box.  What is in it?  What do you think you would like in it?  Is there anything in your creative and spiritual tool-box that surprises you?  Why?

14 thoughts on “Creativity As A Spiritual Response

1. Kathleen says:

I have really enjoyed this series! I have been an inconsistent journal writer all my life. So I have turned them into an art project! Colored pencils, snippets of songs and comics, not that I am a big comic reader but I find myself remembering quotes from superheros! Not sure what they mean but I put them in there! 🙂

• Earthenware Ministry says:

I am SO happy that you enjoyed the series. I am in favor of discipline and consistency, but perhaps they mean something different to me today. The question I would ask you today is are you being inconsistent when you don’t add to your journal, orare you being consistent with your own self in order to follow your own timing? Only you know. ❤️ Blessings in your journey and journal process.

2. Andrea says:

There are so many things I keep on a laptop. Your series has me thinking that I need to find a way to retrieve the journally pieces! What is your next series going to be?

• Earthenware Ministry says:

Good question! I will announce my next series tomorrow in my blog. All the best in retrieving the “journally pieces” from your laptop!

3. ckkochis2017 says:

I love this line, “Keeping a personal journal is a revealing of oneself at a given place and time, to oneself.” YES! I have been journalling since I was sixteen and value what it’s gifted me. This is a wonderful article. Thanks for taking the time to share your pearls of wisdom.

• Earthenware Ministry says:

I love that you have been journaling since you were sixteen! I am happy that you enjoyed my reflections. Thank you for your comments.

4. Kelley Grimes says:

I have loved this blog series Meghan! Your focus on journaling this month and your invitation “to understand that journals are important tools in one’s creative and spiritual toolbox” has been so inspiring. Journaling is an important part of my self-nurturing practice and a tool I suggest often to my clients. Thank you so much!

• Earthenware Ministry says:

You are most welcome! Journaling is indeed a important tool in one’s creative and spiritual tool box. Thank you for your comments.

• Earthenware Ministry says:

Oh, I hope that you will create a book of poems from some of those currently in your journal! Journals are indeed amazing containers!

5. Leila says:

It has been very helpful to me. I realised from your writing that journaling can be done in different ways. Which I have been doing unconsciously. Now that I know it helps me add more intention to it.
    It has been a wonderful month of learning.
    It is indeed a Spiritual tool box. A dump for all our non conventional thoughts and ideas.

• Earthenware Ministry says:

I think we all need a place to be non-conventional if we are to be creative. I am happy that this series of posts has been helpful!